Wayne.B

On 7 Dec 2004 19:21:25 -0800, wrote:

I do need some advice on oarlocks. Which do people prefer, the closed
ring types, the open U or the ring with a pin through the oar or the
type that clamps around the oar with a bolt?

I'd vote for closed ring type. The oar can be feathered on the back
stroke which is very important when rowing against the wind, and the
oar is held captive at all angles.

The open U is a serious hazzard if someone falls on it, and certain
types allow the oar to pop out at inconvenient times. The advantage
of the open U is that the oar can be dropped in at mid-length but this
is not really important for small lightweight oars.

Pin through the oar is a big no no. It considerably weakens the oar
but most importantly prevents feathering.