Chuck Tribolet

Default SPAMMER Blacklist

And if you kill off yahoo, the spamsters will pick something else (hotmail, aol, ...)
and you'll be no better off.

I get as much legit e-mail from yahoo.com as I get spam purporting
to be from yahoo.com. The legit stuff is from friends I wouldn't want to
cut off. So a simple "all yahoo.com is spam" blacklist just doesn't work.
Mozilla does.

And for many (most?) of those folks, the "real" e-mail address is a
business address, and they want to have an address that will be constant
across job changes and is not implicitly associated with their employer.
I got the garlic.com address a number of years ago when I had a visible
position with the Northern California Underwater Photographic Society,
and I didn't think it was appropriate for NCUPS stuff to be coming and
going from an IBM.COM e-mail address. I willing paid $20/month for
that separation of address.

And if you look at what I posted, yahoo.com spam is perhaps 15% of
spam. Mozilla catches 95+% (I get 150+ spams a day, Mozilla catches
all but about five or six.)

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message ...
Chuck Tribolet wrote:
The problem is that there are a LOT of legit folks on yahoo.
I've had 16 legit e-mails from yahoo residents in the last two days.
So just blocking everybody on yahoo doesn't work.

So...it catches a few people who actually have yahoo addresses. But they
also have real email addresses...which they'll have to use if they want
to email me. IMO, the best way to kill off yahoo as the spammers'
favorite spoofed address is to make it impossible for anyone else to
use, forcing 'em to close it. If someone is determined to have a free
anonymous address, there are other services that offer free email
addresses...that don't attract 10% of the spammers that yahoo does.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327