Dennis Pogson

JGS wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:09:18 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Len Krauss wrote:
Thus far I've side-stepped legendary compatibility problems with
hooking my Garmin 48 GPS to notebook PC by always using 9-pin serial
port. Never had to experience the trial and error of of USB
connection.

As everyone knows, it's getting to the point where virtually no
low-end notebook PC's have 9-pin serial ports.

Has this GPS-USB hookup problem now been reliably addressed by
whatever means ( XP op system, Garmin software, etc)???

Comments would be appreciated as I'm getting to the point where a
new notebook PC may be in my future and it's unlikely to have 9-pin
serial port.

Thanks,
Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

Faced with the same problem on my new laptop, and a usb-to-serial
converter that would work fine with Win98 and Win ME, I thought all
I had to do was load the software to my Win XP-Pro machine.

Alas, the OS rejected the drivers, and gave dire warnings that the
laptop might explode if I proeeded to load the older driver.

It is not uncommon but more often the rule that a USB to Serial
Driver does not have the M$ stamp of approval. I have installed
numerous USB to RS232 converters and have yet to find one that comes
with a M$ certification. I just ignore the warning and install the
driver. Never ever had any problems.

I tried this (ignoring the warning), but the driver refused to work, and I
got frequent warnings about the driver file from WinXP, so I deleted it.

The new one works fne.

We use the laptops for industrial Automation Control systems and I
used it for connecting a new laptop to an old GPS II.

A search through the Net revealed that the driver manufacturer had
been taken over about 4 times, eventually finishing up as the
subsidiary of a subsidiary of Intel. Result- no drivers for Win XP.

I went onto Ebay and found a supplier of new usb -to-serial
converters, with a WinXP- compatible driver, and am pleased to say
all is well! My new laptop works with my Garmin, no problems. Cost
me about £15UK.

Dennis.
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---