Capt. NealŪ

Gimme a break. A simple free software firewall like
Zone Alarm or Kerio which monitors all port activity
in and out protects you from your computer ever being
used for denial of service attacks. Besides, DOS attacks
are not initiated by an individual hacker hacking into
one computer after another. It takes more than a handful
of computer to mount a DOS attack.

CN

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:19:25 -0500, Capt. NealŪ
scribbled thusly:

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Capt. NealŪ wrote:

You sound like Gaynz. You need to ask yourself,
"Am I important enough for some hacker to want to
get into my system?" Probably not.

This is essentially a variation on 'security through obscurity', and is not
a real defence against being hacked.

Yes it is! Hackers have better things to do with their time than
waste it hacking into mine or Mooron's worthless computer.
What would they get - nothing worthwhile to be sure.

Unfortunately this is untrue.
Hackers regularly hack into any old computer to initiate DOS attacks.
Your computer is used purely as a route thru which the attack is
run....you look like the bunny....and it isn't even Easter.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.