Dennis Pogson

William G. Andersen wrote:
Get a cable that is USB at the PC end and Serial at the GPS end. I
saw one advertised in today's paper, probably at Fry's. If they have
it, any PC place hould have it.

Didn't know there was such a thing! TheGarmin plug wired to a USB plug?

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
Thus far I've side-stepped legendary compatibility problems with
hooking my Garmin 48 GPS to notebook PC by always using 9-pin serial
port. Never had to experience the trial and error of of USB
connection.

As everyone knows, it's getting to the point where virtually no
low-end notebook PC's have 9-pin serial ports.

Has this GPS-USB hookup problem now been reliably addressed by
whatever means ( XP op system, Garmin software, etc)???

Comments would be appreciated as I'm getting to the point where a new
notebook PC may be in my future and it's unlikely to have 9-pin
serial port.

Thanks,
Len

--