William G. Andersen

Get a cable that is USB at the PC end and Serial at the GPS end. I saw one
advertised in today's paper, probably at Fry's. If they have it, any PC
place hould have it.

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
Thus far I've side-stepped legendary compatibility problems with hooking

my
Garmin 48 GPS to notebook PC by always using 9-pin serial port. Never had

experience the trial and error of of USB connection.

As everyone knows, it's getting to the point where virtually no low-end
notebook PC's have 9-pin serial ports.

Has this GPS-USB hookup problem now been reliably addressed by whatever
means ( XP op system, Garmin software, etc)???

Comments would be appreciated as I'm getting to the point where a new
notebook PC may be in my future and it's unlikely to have 9-pin serial

port.

Thanks,
Len

--