Evan Gatehouse

"rhys" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:58:31 -0800, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

Uhh, you're not planning to put this right on your mast are you Geoff?
Aluminum and carbon fiber get along like, well copper and aluminum.
Basically the potential for the aluminum to disappear is very high. If

you
do this, make sure you insulate the two. One simple way is a couple

light
layers of E-glass on the mast to isolate the CF.

Hmm, I never considered this. Are you saying that carbon fibre is a
good conductor and that aluminum is "less noble" and therefore prone
to corrosion when directly affixed to carbon fibre in the presence of
current?

I mean, I learned the hard way about using fibre washers between my
aluminum spreaders and my SS deck light mounts, but in my mind I think
of carbon fibre as being in more or less the same class as fibreglass,
i.e. an insulator. I gather you are saying it's more like a conductive
metal...
R.

Right - if you have it in contact with aluminum, the aluminum disappears
quickly.