Graeme Cook

Hi James

I have just done a delivery from Frazer Island to Hobart in Australia, about
1,300 nm, on a 45 footer with an Air-X generator.

I found that it did not cut in until about 15 knots apparent wind when it
generated about 5 amps. This increased to 10 amps at 20 knots and 15 amps
above 25 knots.
The noise was quieter than other wind generators that I have used, much
quieter than my old Airogen, but as the voyage progressed the noise became
more annoying. It was particularly intrusive when the winds were over 30
knots apparent.

Also, as the vessel rolled and pitched, the Air-X changed direction slightly
and the rotation accelerated and decelerated, which changed the tone of
noise it made. One crew member said it reminded him of the soundtrack of
diver bombers in a war film!

Hope this helps

Graeme
sv Leonidas

James wrote:

I am looking at wind generators. According to the latest literature, the
Air-X marine wind generator is claimed to be 80% less noisy than the
(very loud and annoying in my opinion) older model, the Air Marine.

Can anyone offer any first hand experience with Air-X Marine wind
generator as compared to the old Air Marine one?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for products in particular?
Real world experience is what I am looking for...the advertisign hype
isn't much use. Experience is.

Thanks

Jimmy