Buck Frobisher

Default Trolling motor = need fuse?

Maybe the manufacturer figures that a motor like that will always have
its
wires visible, or, in other words, not enclosed in a bilge where

potentially
explosive fumes will build up. So, if the wires burn through their
insulation for some unforeseen reason, it won't be a hazard. Maybe. But,

if
the wires *did* burn for some reason, and they happened to be laying

next
a life vest....

Meanwhile, you could find an in-line fuse holder and probably do the job

for
under $25, even if you went bonkers and bought oil-filled crimps and a

brand
new crimp tool. Sounds like pretty cheap insurance to me. It'll take

less
time than filling out all the insurance papers for your fried boat.

It just so happens that I bought a Minn Kota on sale at Canadian Tire today
(28 lb thrust, for a 14' bowrider) and the leads aren't long enough to go to
the battery. The cable on the motor ends in spade lugs, and the booklet
says to use 6 gauge wire for the extension.

What I was going to use was an old battery jumper cable that will give me
the length I need, and terminate it in a nice lug to go on the battery
terminal. On the motor's cable, short of cutting the spade lugs off, can
anyone think of a simple screw type connector so that I can disconnect it
when I want to?

Plus, any sites or names of Toronto-area stores that carry 12v marine
accessories would be handy.

Thanks for any advice!

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario