Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Gould 0738 :

Do you see a similarity between the description in the UK regs regarding fuel
gauze and a bit of material stuffed into a fill pipe? If so, good for you. I
didn't so I asked for some additional information. I learn something new every
day.

First of, we were discussing a bit of gauze stuffed into a vent pipe, not
a fill pipe... and that is exactly what the UK regs were talking
about. Here's a quote from another UK boat safety site by their
Environment Agency:

"Any flame close to or at the end of the vent pipe could flash back into
the fuel tank. Because of this, each vent pipe opening must be fitted with
an effective flame arrester (see diagram - outlet of vent pipe below deck
level) that prevents flashback. It's recommended that the flame arrester
has gauze with mesh not less than 11 to the linear centimetre (or 28 to
the linear inch) and to be effective the gauze must also completely cover
the pipe opening. You can help maintain its effectiveness by keeping it
clear of debris such as paint or spiders' webs."

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com

Dan

--

JESUS SAVES, but I makes backups!