Geoff Schultz

Brian Lawson wrote in
:
The adapter has to accept the 2.5" long shaft of the self-leveling radar
mount and fit within the existing round housing. Basically this will be
a 3" long x 3" diameter rod. Then I'm going to mill 2 flats along
another 3" length of it down to 1.5" thick and bolt that to the existing
radar platform. That much stainless would weigh too much.

-- Geoff

Hey Geoff,

5052 is good, and sort of available. Easy to work with, an used for
fuel tanks too, and can be welded.

It is just a formed "L" bracket you need isn't it? I have to wonder
why you don't go with marine grade stainless though. Gage-to-strength
versus aluminum would keep the weight aloft very close, and would be
the material of choice I would think.

What point or height are you going to mount it? Masthead? Spreader??

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:09:38 GMT, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I recently purchased a Questus self-leveling radar mount off of Ebay.
Unfortuantely this unit was designed to be mounted on a backstay, and
my boat (a Freedom 40/40 with a carbon fiber mast) doesn't have one.
I've designed an adapter for it, which I will machine out of 3" round
Al stock.

It seems that there's primarily 2 types of Al stock available: T6511
and 6061. The part will be painted. Which of these (or some other
varient) should I use considering the salt water marine environment?

-- Thanks, Geoff