N1EE

Welcome Joeseph,

I've used the ASA, US Sailing, and US Power Squadron course books, and
taught sailing using the US Sailing study guides. I like the US Power
Squadron (USPS) Piloting and Advance Piloting the best, but you have
to join to get them and wait for shipment. THE USPS courses cover
topics you won't find elsewhere, like using a sextant horizontally for
circles of position. They might be better for later study after you
have the basics down.

The US Sailing books are easy to find. See the US Sailing web site or
Amazon.com, They have lots of good material in an easy to use format.
Youmight want to start with the Basic Keelboat book and read them
all.

Here is a link to their coastal navigation book. It has some good
chart work problems in it.

http://www.ussailing.org/commercial/...ioncoastal.htm

Give us some feedback on the yachtmaster program, they were the basis
for the ASA and US Sailing programs in the USA. What does it cost?
How long? And quality of the instructors.

One final recommendation. To get your money's worth, chose the best
instructors they have.

Bart Senior

(Jcasey22) wrote

I'm headed back to the UK to attend the UKSA for 17 weeks to gain a yachtmaster
certification, hopefully. I want to have a better understanding of the basics
before I get there, as the Solent is a hell of a place to learn on the run. I
am in need of a good source of info and study guides for navigation, tidal
calculations and other such things. I have a little training in both, so I am
at the point at where I can understand the language and use the tools involed.
I am shelling out a lot of dough for the school as it is, so if I can find
these things on the cheap, it would be great.

Joseph