Rosalie B.

Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:23:59 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

There are logs and deadheads in the Alligator Pungo Canal too but they
don't have anything to do with the depth.

====================================

Ouch. Nothing I'd really like to encounter with my new set of props
and shafts. Pamlico Sound is sounding better and better.

We can't go around the Alligator Pungo canal (Roanoke Sound or
Croaton Sound to Pamlico) because either the depth is too shallow or
the bridges are too low. The A-P is far more of a problem with
deadheads etc. than the Dismal Swamp.

While the logs in the Dismal Swamp sound horrible (you can hear them
rolling down the hull), we've never had any damage from that - of
course we have a modified full keel and our prop is protected by the
keel. I much prefer this route to the Virginia Cut, both because I
like the friendly people in Elizabeth City and because I think it is a
far prettier and more tranquil route. No barges and no crazy power
boats speeding up and down the Dismal Swamp Canal.

The tanin in the water is not just in the Dismal Swamp either. We
don't have too much trouble with the 'mustache' because we don't have
a white hull.

My pictures of the trip down the Dismal Swamp in 2003 are linked
together starting at http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/445ce/#TL

grandma Rosalie