Geoff Schultz

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote in
m:

Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:45:27 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

We are driving south this winter instead of going by boat. We went
to the Dismal Swamp Visitor's Center yesterday and they said that
the Corps of Engineers has found money to keep the canal open - it
will not close at the end of this year. She said there were three
boats there Friday night.
=============================

What is the maximun allowable draft?

IIRC the controlling depth is supposed to be 6 feet, but when we
went through last year, they told us that a boat with 7 foot draft
had been through and was ok.

grandma Rosalie

I went through with a 5'2" draft and bumped on logs several times. No
damage, but they're there.

That has nothing to do with the controlling depth. Even catamarans
have logs bump on them. EVERYONE has logs bump on their bottoms. But
they aren't on the bottom, they are floating around under the surface.

There are logs and deadheads in the Alligator Pungo Canal too but they
don't have anything to do with the depth.

grandma Rosalie

I do understand the concept of controlling depth. I will also state
that I've never had a log bump until going through the Dismal Swamp
canal. One shouldn't think that simply because the canal has a 6'
controlling depth that you can get through it unscathed. There's also
all of the tanins in the water which makes it look like coffee. That
will leave a beard.

If I wouldn't have been forced to divert to Elizabeth City, I wouldn't
have gone through the Dismal Swamp Canal.

If you want to see pictures of the canal, go to:

http://www.geoffschultz.org/1999_Sai...5_FL_RI/990514
_Norfolk/ind
ex.html

-- Geoff