Capt. NealŪ

"Joe" wrote in message om...
Capt. NealŪ wrote in message ...
I read the original post again and it just
says 150 foot mega yacht so it probably is
a mono-hull. I guess I was mixing it up with
Oz's thread about the big catamaran he just
bid on from the Greeks?

You could still build a nice tunnel drive into
the hull just forward of the rudder. That would
be my plan if I were filthy rich and were building
such a yacht. Actually, I think I would experiment
with a tunnel either side of the keel where it
fits to the hull. It would look somewhat like
a couple of jet engine nacelles on the tail
of a Gulfstream like this one
http://www.controller.com/images/con...e/00905032.jpg
but with smaller tunnels recessed into the keel.

And it would be an effective add on. However on something in the 150
yacht it would be a smart move to have a twin screw system. If
properly set up you can walk your stern left or right without any
thruster assitance just using your wheel walk. For a bow thruster a
simple 120 hp electric thruster would suffice in a tunnel. If money
were truley no issue than Id go all diesel electric including both
main screws and go with cort nozzles and variable pitch props able to
feather flat. Everything would sail by wire off a joy stick with
computer sail trimming, touch screen navigation and control thruout
the vessel.
But 150 foot is just so second class in today maga yacht scene. Id
build in the 225 footer range.

Joe

225 feet is about where steel comes into its own. Any smaller
than that and it's just too heavy for spritely performance.

I would go whole hog and have it made from stainless steel.
After all, the premise is you won the lottery and money is
no object.

CN