Ian Malcolm

Default Boat-Hearses

Backyard Renegade wrote:

"Gary Warner" wrote in message ...
"Backyard Renegade" wrote:

I have a friend who is trying to commission me to build him a small
viking type ship, maybe 20 feet... Only problem is he also wants me to
put him in it and send it to sea on fire upon his death. I did not
mind so much when he asked me to do it, but when I finally realized he
is serious, I kind of got freaked out. Still don't know if I am gonna
build that one, probably not. Scotty

Certainly a personal choice for you but if that's what your friend truely
wants
I'd take it as an honor to do it. Provided of course you won't get into
legal
trouble by doing that. I suspect it would be illegal.

That is my suspicion too. And also there could be liability issues if
the wind changed and the boat came back! Scotty.

Why not ask your friend if he'd consider a ship burial. Last voyage in
his
ship wrapped in a shroud, followed by burial near the water IN HIS SHIP
with all its gear and raise a barrow mound over him and the ship. If the
grave is below the water table in a clay or peat soil, the pair of you
could be causing archeological controversy in 1000 years time.

I'd suggest an engraved lead plate with the date, his and the ship's names
etc. and naming you as the builder.

Should be perfectly legal with the land owner's permission.
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961