Peggie Hall

Default Remote battery for Lectrasan ?

The first question is, whether you can legally use your Lectra/San
in your waters. Most of the waters of SoCal are "no discharge"--holding
tank only.

I didn't realize that. I thought it was only Avalon and other harbors,
but since I've never had a boat on this coast before the issue has never
come up.

Given that restriction, is there any advantage to even trying to bring
it back to life since it doesn't have a holding tank ?

If it's working, you can use it. 40 CFR 140.3(2)(c) sayeth: "Any
vessel which is equipped as of the date of promulgation of this
regulation (1980) with a Coast Guard-certified flow-through marine
sanitation device meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(2) of this
section, shall not be required to comply with the provisions designed to
prevent the overboard discharge of sewage, treated or untreated, in
paragraph (a)(1) of this section, for the operable life of that device."

A Lectra/San meets the requires of paragraph (a) (2) and was installed
on your boat before 1980. Therefore, you'd be able to use it in lieu of
a holding tank in ALL waters, including those that are "no discharge."

You can read the whole law at
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/4...7/wcd04715.asp

I'd have to add
a holding tank anyway for no-discharge areas.

Nope.

Does Lectrasan treatment
sterilize the effluent enough to make it too dead to cause odors ?

Yes. In fact, ANY odor is an indication that the unit isn't working.

The boat (in beautiful condition !) is a 1975 and I'd guess the
Lectrasan is a 1977, based on the manual copyright. For a 23 pocket
cruiser a "semi-permanent", pumpable porta-potti might make more sense ?

If your Lectra/San is no longer working and cannot be repaired for a
reasonable cost, yes...a 5-6 gallon permanent installed self-contained
system would be the best answer on a boat that size.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html