Chris

Actually, they do this in bicycle safety lights all of the time- even
when they're slowly flashing, they are also flickering at high speed.
There is a net savings in power consumption at an equivallent
brightness, but I don't have the figures handy. A 555, one capacitor
and one resistor will set you back about 75 cents, and the circut is
easy enough for you to have your cat do it.

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message ...
"dazed and confuzed" wrote in message
I believe he wants to strobe them faster than the eye can percieve.
something like 50 hz would do it.

Ah, now I understand. But this has no benefits. A LED that is continuously
on at, say 20mA, will appear to have the same brightness as when strobed
with a 20% duty-cycle (1/5 of the time) at 100mA (5 times the current).

Meindert