Old Nick

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:03:59 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"dazed and confuzed" wrote in message
I believe he wants to strobe them faster than the eye can percieve.
something like 50 hz would do it.

Ah, now I understand. But this has no benefits. A LED that is continuously
on at, say 20mA, will appear to have the same brightness as when strobed
with a 20% duty-cycle (1/5 of the time) at 100mA (5 times the current).

Meindert

Actually not quite. If you talk energy consumption then you are right.
But you can viciously overdrivve LEDs to get far more brightness out
of then than they normally can give.

see:
http://www.stockeryale.com/i/leds/lit/app001.htm

There is also argument that your eye and brain think that the led is
still alight and this can fool you into seeing a brighter LED. I would
reckon this would work best for LEDs being looked _at_, rather than
thiose used as a source of illumination.