Gary Warner

Default Ideas for a scale?

Rod,

I really like this idea. I think it will be easily doable with the
materials,
scale, and setup we have. Thanks for taking time to draw out that
picture.

Gary

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"James Gemmill" gemmilljim@hotmail,com wrote in message
make a tripod bridge with the scale as one foott of of the tripod.
Multipy the weight shown by three. Use two by sixes and two by fours
for the tripod.

Why a tripod?

My concern is that it over constrains the problem, and you could end up

with
a major error it the weight was not distributed evenly between the three
legs. I suggest using a lever approach instead:

|______| - object being weighed
ground |scale|

| a | b | - the
distances between

Multiply the reading on the scale by the ratio of b/a. For best results,
make the points of contact (ground, scale and weigh point) as small as
possible so that there is less ambiguity on the distance measurements.

Rod