JAXAshby

jeffies, think about if for a few weeks, ask your wife for help, then think
about it for several weeks more. maybe -- just maybe -- you might come to
understand the what you said. let me explain it to you

*you* said there is a wide difference in heights between Hampton Bay and
Peconic Bay.

Q Is this always?

A Obviously not, for if one were always higher than the other the water would
flow only one direction and that is not the case. (it would also require a
lock in the canal)

Q If the water on the HB side is higher than the PB side, why is that?

A Because the tide is flooding

Q If the tide is flooding then the height difference must be enough to require
a lock, no?

A No. In fact Peconic Bay has no lock and is open to the Atlantic Ocean to
the east and the Peconic Bay is tidal water.

Q Then Hampton Bay must not be tidal water, right?

A Hampton Bay is tidal water.

Q So, why the lock?

A No lock, the water height difference is not enough but to cause ordinary
tidal flow.

Q So why the gates?

A To reduce the saltier HB water from entering PB in large quantities.

Q Why is PB less saltier?

A PB has freshwater rivers flowing into it.

Q So, Hampton Bay must have the same water level, less tidal difference, as
PC.

A Of course. If HB water were always higher the canal would need a lock to
move boats. If PB water were always higher there would be no need to worry
about salty HB water from entering.

Q So, what is the issue

A jeffies thinks because locks have two gates anything with two gates is a
lock.

Q Is jeffies a fumb duck?

A Yes

From: Jeff Morris
Date: 11/26/2004 1:56 PM Eastern Standard Time
How can you lie like this jaxie? Don't you realize that from now
everyone knows you're a pathological liar and will never believe
anything you ever say?

JAXAshby the pathological liar wrote:
jeffies, you finally admit the gates ar open on a an ebb tide,

I said that from the beginning. From the first, and many times after
I've quoted from the Coast Pilot:
"The lock gates and
tide gates are constructed so that tidal action opens
them to allow the current to set south through the
canal and closes them to prevent water from
Shinnecock Bay to flow back into Great Peconic Bay"

but then state
there is a huge difference in tide levels between the two bays.

Yes there is - several feet or more at times, measured a few miles apart
on opposite sides of the canal. Anyone can look that up, but it seems
beyond your skills or comprehension.

think about it, jeffies. you just stated that the current would *not* flow
north.

What part of "and closes them to prevent water from
Shinnecock Bay to flow back into Great Peconic Bay" do you not
understand? I'm not making this up; this is the Coast Pilot, published
by the US Coast Survey.

jeffies, I have seen the current flow south on an ebb and north on a flood,

the
gates wide open..

What you think you've seen is of no relevance here. In addition to
being a pathological liar, you have no understanding of how a lock even
works. It is doubtful that you would even know which way is north.
And, it does not bear on the issue of whether the facility is a "lock."
I've seen a lock wide open many times; they are still a lock.

Perhaps if you posted a reference to back up your claim that this is the
normal practice ... but you would never do that.