Glenn Ashmore

Jax,

This is going to be my last responce because it is pretty obvious that you
have no idea what you are talking about, twist my statements and make
rediculous assumptions.

First, A normal can of beer is 12 ounces. Not 16. Tall boys are no good
on boats because they get warm before you can drink them all.

Second, I am allowing 6 beers a day for a crew of 4. That is more than most
prudent skippers will allow. Especially with hard liquor sundowners and
night caps. :-) BTW, that 800 BTU buffer includes 400 BTUs for making
enough ice for those cocktails and 90% of the frozen provisions will be
frozen before they get to the boat. Now before you go saying that two
pounds of ice is not enough consider that a 8 oz cocktail glass will hold
about .2 pounds of ice so that is enough for 10 drinks.

Third, I should have mentioned that the design temperature used to calculate
my heat gain for the box is 40F and the freezer is 0F. That is good enough
to keep ice cream. Besides, with my belt size I don't need much ice cream.
OTOH, I don't wear speedos. ;-)

Now, as to refrigeration performance figures. We went through this two
years ago and I am not going to get sucked into another interminable debate
so I will leave it with the following statement which I have verified with
the chairman of the ASHRAE standards committee.. Performance
specifications, be they COP, EER or ASHRAE capacity are based the NET heat
removed. It does NOT include heat generated in the process.

You are almost correct on the 75 pounds of ice assuming the system is set up
do do nothing but freeze ice with a constant supply of water moving across
the plates so that the heat is removed efficiently. But it is more like 90
pounds. A BD50F at 3,000 RPM and a plate temperature of -5F has an ASHRAE
capacity rating of 166 Watts. Times 3.413 we get 566 BTUs/hour or about
13,000 BTUs/day. The current draw is 7.4 amps or 177 amp hours. That is a
COP of 1.87 and an EER of about 6.3. That is about the same as a modern
110VAC hermetic compressor.

You make the assumption that all compressor manufacturers are lying about
theyr specifications. If that were true no refrigeration designer would
ever be able to build a refrigerator that would work the way it was supposed
to. .

--.
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com