Dave Hall

On 23 Nov 2004 22:48:08 -0800, (steve) wrote:

Suspect says hunters provoked him
Vang says he was surrounded, called names and shot at before shootings
By JOHN DIEDRICH, LEE BERGQUIST and TOM HELD

Hayward - The suspect arrested for shooting eight hunters, killing six
of them, says he was surrounded by the group, called derogatory racial
names and shot at before he opened fire, according to court records
released today.

Well, if I were facing multiple counts of murder, I'd try to kick up
some dust in an attempt to save my butt. It's just human nature.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time the "racial persecution" angle
was used as a potential defense.

But even if true, shooting people is not the appropriate response,
unless his life was directly threatened. If he could somehow prove
that he was shot at first, I'd tend to look a little more sympathetic
toward him.

Dave