Ian Malcolm

Keith wrote:
Agreed. How about bronze wool? There are also various cleaners/primers for
aluminum, but I can't think of the names right now. Really stay away from
steel wool.

Never put *any* copper alloy in contact with Aluminium in a marine
environment, if you wish to avoid accelerated galvanic corrosion. A
copper penny dropped in the bilges is as good as making a hole as a
broken mercury thermometer and only a little slower.

Knowing that, do you *really* want to leave small particles of bronze
embedded over the whole of the outside of your hull? :-)

If you are a cheapskate like me, you'll head down the supermarket and
pick up a couple of packs of those fancy panscourers Vileda make. They
are a cut above the green ones as the nylon is loaded with an abrasive.
They are silver-grey in appearance and non rusting. I am also a fan of
their 'gleaner' which is a pot scourer made from stainless steel
turnings. It is a very effective way of removing calcified deposits off
any metal or paint or varnish off sound hardwood. Watch out, its
extremely aggressive and if you dont want to risk scoring the wood
underneath you either need to be much more cautious as you get near to
the bottom coat or need to soften the paint/varnish with a chemical
stripper first so you dont have to press so hard. Dont try it on
gelcoat unless you need to clean up a surface you are patching over :-)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961