Natty Bumppo

dh wrote in message news:

Steam ships plied the waters past the confluence with the Methow river in
the late 1800's I think it was. (been awhile since I read the historical
marker). There are still mechanical fasteners (eyebolts) in the rocks near
Pateros that were used to help move the large boats up the rapids in that
area. This is well past Walla Walla.

You might do a google on "Hanford Reach", it's not far from Walla Walla and
is "the only free flowing, non-tidal stretch of the Columbia River in the
U.S"

HTH

Thanks for the leads...I will check out Hanford Reach as you advise.

Thanks again!