Skip Gundlach

Default "Heatshield" - More reefer (well, insulation) questions

One of my respondents to my question about vacuum panels is very high on
"Heat Shield" (www.heatshieldmarine.com) - a mostly radiant barrier, to my
expectations, but their claim is that in conjunction with foam, it has the
effect of tripling the foam R value.

As I don't know what's inside these foil separators (1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch
material) I can't judge the insulating value of that part. However, what I
*think* I know (see Mark Twain's quotation about facts for perspective) is
that a radiant barrier can be any shiny surface - such as on the outside of
Tuff-R or other building supply foam board, or simple home aluminum foil -
including, I suppose, those Mylar "space blankets" available cheaply in
camping stores Despite their assertions that their 1" is equivalent to 5 or
6" of urethane foam, as their site seems to place a great deal of importance
on the radiant barrier, I don't know how much value to place on *their*
radiant barrier over any other. It seems to me that if this premise were
so, houses would be insulated with silver Mylar film outside instead of the
usual tyvek wrap as it seems - at least from the premise of their claims -
it would improve the thermal barrier multifold. Not being a thermal
engineer, I don't know whose claims to believe...

So, again, I'm looking for real-world experience. Anyone had an
installation of Heat Shield they'd care to comment on?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain