Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:35:56 GMT, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message
.. .

I believe that the 710 tuner is installed. Those are a must on a boat
- otherwise you get some odd results with unbalanced antennas. I can
give you some grounding pointers when it comes 'round to it to improve
tuning and transmit performance. Same with the 802.

Icom is a great radio company and I know a lot of hams who use Icom
products almost exclusively. I didn't care for the Icom front panel
control scheme so my modern ham gear is all Yaesu.

Personally, I like the remote control panel deal - I have a Yaesu
FT-900 with that scheme and I like it a lot when I'm operating mobile
- hides the main radio and you can disconnect the control head and put
that in a glove compartment.

Ask away - always up for a radio discussion. :)

It does have the automatic matching network or antenna tuner as they call
it. When we officially close on the boat deal, which should be early next
week, I am going to pull the radio and antenna out of the boat and play with
it in the garage. We just have to finish the hull survey and get the results
of the oil analysis.

Of course, I will check into the license, I will, I will. I used to stand
MARS watches for a while in the Navy, and that's the last time I played with
these things. I used to fix 'em but I didn't know anything about using 'em.
I am sure I'll have some dumb questions.

Just remember to keep the antenna in the clear when you are tinkering
with the radio. Closeted in the garage can produce some interesting
results with the house electrical system, not to mention the cars,
trucks, tractors and other odds and ends like TV.

Later,

Tom