Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Tamaroak wrote:

Last year our Verizon phones only worked in Prince Rupert. We tried them
in Sitka, Ketchikan, Wrangell with no success. Maybe they will work
better next summer when/if we do the trip again. We aren't planning on
'net access.

Capt. Jeff

Southeastern Alaska has two Cellular Providers, ACS and Cellular One.
Both are 800Mhz digital and analog and have Highsites that cover most
of the main trasit passages in the region. Verizon is mostly a PCS
Service, and PCS is only in Juneau at this time. AT&T Alascom is the
Longlines Carrier for thr region, and in talking with their Traveling
Techs a few weeks ago, I heard that PCS coverage will be added to most
of the Cellular Highsites sometime this next summer. I suspect that
coverage for PCS will be very limited to direct Line-of-sight from the
Cellsites, but it will be better than nothing. I am planning to add PCS
to my remote cabins comms suite when the new service is installed.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @