K Smith

Default OT--Amazing numbers

Gary Warner wrote:
"K Smith" wrote in message:

the ones that returned lefty taxes to the tax payers so they can decide
for themselves how to live their lives?? instead of faceless unelected
cretins like you deciding what should be done with other peoples' money,

or

I'll just reply to your first idea and leave the other ones for others:
"Returning" taxes when running huge
deficits and increasing discretionary spending at an amazing rate is
not "returning" any money. Bush likes to say "it's your money" but
it's also "your" debt. Or, more probably, debt that you are passing
on to your kids. ~ How about I borrow $100 in your name and
give you $50 of it? Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the reply Gary;

Last first?? So long as I have to spend it at the same bank, which you
happen to also own; that's not as bad as it first appears:-)

I don't think anyone says the debt is a good thing & at the moment the
war is certainly a part of it.

The real trouble was your debt was rising at an alarming rate even
throughout the economic boom times under Clinton, as people's wages
increased so too the tax take. The trouble was the Dems were also
allowing a boom in Govt funded programs/spending, while I suspect most
of us think many laudable, the fact remains their growth was even
greater than the economy in those once in a life boom times.

Bush was confronted with a downturn in the cycle, it had been seen a
long time out, so those that simplistically blame him for it, are just
being opportunists.

The real issue is given the circumstances Bush had to deal with, the
downturn, 911 etc he has done the right thing, he's cut taxes so despite
a huge loss of apparent consumer wealth with the tech wreck stock
collapse etc, people have still been able to spend.

It's thanks to the resilience of the US consumer the world looks more &
more like averting an economic meltdown & thanks.

It's most likely that if Al the voters best pal were in, then the loss
of wealth, 911 jitters & continuing high taxes might have shut the US
consumer spending confidence down & then we're all in it, big time.

Once the left's spending programs are rained in next term then the debt
can be better managed.

However again don't think anyone is happy about the debt Clinton
allowed to build when you should have been clearing sovereign debt, we &
lots of other places actually paid debt down during the boom high tax
flow times of the 90s, Clinton just flitted it away on loony left
favours to supporters, unions etc.