Wayne.B

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:01:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Ultimately, and the stereo system I currently have, is a set of Bozak
Concert Grands (from the late '70s) powered by six McInsosh 50s (with
the Gold Lion 6L6s - now Svetlana 6L6s), a PAT5 preamp and some solid
state Marantz stuff inbetween. I still have my Garrad Z-100 changer,
but don't use it all that much. Had to build a solid state preamp for
the cd changer.

Those 6L6s were some versatile tubes. My first ever novice ham rig
had one as the final amp, circa 1957. There was a metal version of
the 6L6 that was supposedly built to withstand the rigors of being
launched in an antiaircraft shell. The function of the 6L6 was to act
as a proximity fuse which would detonate the shell when the circuit
detected that it was near a metalic object.

What do they cost these days and where do you get them?