Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:31:30 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 19 Nov 2004 01:39:52 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Our regional boating magazine is about to observe its 40th year of publication,
so I'm digging through issues from each of the first few decades to choose
material for an article to lauch the anniversay year.

~~ snippage ~~

T&G Electronics was advertising some VHF radios. (Remember, these are 1965
prices...) The 75-watt, six channel model was available for $299. A 110-watt
model, also six channel, was priced at $399. The top of the line, very deluxe
150-watt unit with *8* Channels (!) was a mere $549. (A lot of middle-class
jobs only paid about $500/month back then. Imagine taking out an 18-month
installment loan to buy a VHF)

And those were crystal controlled with flibberdejibbet tune controls.

I have one in my collection of antique radios - I'll take a picture
today and post it.

Gosh...from the days when Radio Shack was a real electronics hobbyist
store.

First store ever - right across from BU on Commonwealth Avenue in
Boston. I had a Radio Shack short wave receiver from that my Uncle
sent me one Christmas. I was living in WI at the time (before we
moved east) and heard the BBC for the first time when I was around ten
sitting in my room with wire strung all over the place hooked up to
the little transistor "Shortwave" receiver. Sparked my interest in
electronics actually.

Remember Lafayette Electronics? My first FM receiver was a Lafayette
- I'll never forget putting that kit together - took me almost a month
working after homework was finished late into the night. Got it
together and had to tune it and bought my first piece of test
equipment - a signal generator - which was also a kit. :) I
remember my father saying "FM - it will never catch on - all they play
is classical music". WTMG in Milwaukee in fact had the only FM
transmitter in the mid-west at the time. WGN in Chicago was a couple
of years behind them.

Heathkit was also high on my list of stuff every Christmas when they
were still around. At one time I had a ton of Heath amateur radio and
test equipment. My Dad's first color TV was a Heath. That was fun.

Oh - gosh - how could I forget Allied Electronics on Michigan Avenue
in Milwaukee. I used to beg my Dad to take me to work with him at the
Milwaukee Sentinel on vacations so I could hang at the Allied store in
the afternoon and just look at "stuff".

Ah yes - the gud ole' daze...

Later,

Tom