Lawrence James

Default Downsides to a long trailer tongue?

Get the boat where you want it. Then make the tongue the length you want
it. Finally move the axle to get 10% of the weight on the tongue.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Your analysis is correct. You could either move the axles back a
little more, or bring the boat forward. I have a similar setup to
yours: 24 ft boat, approx 5,000 lbs, tandem axle trailer about 28 ft
long. Moving the boat forward 1 foot increases tongue weight by about
300 lbs. Once you get the axles about right, it's easier to adjust
the boat position.

Thanks.

Note: In our case we don't want to move the boat
forward. Reason is that it's a wood boat and there is
a 50 gallon gas tank right at the back going
across the boat. We want support right under the transom.
So we want the transom directly over the end of the trailer
where the risers will be.