bomar

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

All those 2 stroke Detroit's were notorious for running away...I had a 4
banger Detroit in a 2 ton truck that ran away several times on me, man that
little thing would scream like the head was going to fly off.
It always took me a second or two to realize WTF was happening and yank out
the emergency engine stop.
Last month a farmer friend had the V6 Detroit in his forage harvester run
away, it's done it a time or two.
Don't even get me started on the oil leaks..........

The early Detroit Diesel 8V71 engines were notorious for the fuel injector
control racks sticking, usually in the in the full fuel position. The

normal
"off control" just moved fuel command to the governor (the governor

actually
moves the racks) to the "no fuel" position so this clearly is not going to
work.

GM fixed this by putting an air door in the intake manifold. This door is
located in the odd looking 90 degree bend going into the blower. When you
pulled the red emergency stop T-handle on the dash, this door drops and

cuts
off the air supply to the engine. The air door shaft is spring loaded and
e-stop just releases it - it has no facility to pull the door back into
position. After this you had to manually reset this door by gaining

access
to the engine (usually jacking the cab) and flipping the little lever on

the
intake manifold.