Capt. Mooron

I have no less than 6 certified advance vehicle control courses... all
stated I would get a discount on insurance premiums... I don't... I have no
tickets, no record and no accidents for over 30 years.

CM

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
I have received a 10% allowance for my car and my boating safety courses.

I have to renew my defensive driving course every 3 yrs, but have received
the 10% discount for the last 17 yrs, I have received a 10% discount for a
course I took the last 1t yrs ago.

.
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:28:38 GMT, "Dr. Dr. Smithers"
wrote:

No, but those who have taken defensive driving courses are less likely to
have an accident.

I am a proponent of boater safety courses, however, since taking part
in boater safety courses is an elective decision, you haven't
established whether this phenomenon is cause or effect.

I think it is most likely that those interested in boating safety
pursue the courses out of the initiative of self improvement. They
would have been safe, anyway.

Given the embarrassingly small percentage of discount afforded by the
insurance companies for boating safety course completers... I'd think
that few to none of those people holding boating safety and
navigational rules/information in low esteem would be induced to take
courses for selfish monetary reasons. They'd probably be unsafe,
anyway. There is a lot of difference between taking a course and
altering someone's behavior.

If I were an insurance company, I'd think of some pricing scheme to
induce boaters to take these boating safety courses (even the
disinterested ones), that is, if I truly felt that they would improve
safety and my bottom line.

Looking at the insurance companies complacent attitude toward this....
I'd conclude that it isn't all that strong a link to them.....
--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where
Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time