Snafu

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Shut off the fuel supply, block the air intake and keep a load on the
engine. You sure as hell don't want to pump CO2 down the airpipe.

Harry, I'm curious why you wouldn't want the engine to breathe CO2.

On the tugs of a company I worked for, we had the large bulkhead-mounted
tanks that could be used to flood the engine room with CO2. We were told to
use them in the case of a runaway engine after closing the engine room air
intakes.

Another thing we were told about a runaway engine is to never position
yourself beside it; always stand in front or behind the engine. That way
when a piston rod comes through the block, you won't get hit. It's obvious
when someone tells you, but it might not be something you think about when
trying to stop a runaway.