Lloyd Sumpter

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:56:08 +0000, Gould 0738 wrote:

A paragraph in a book I've been sent to review seems to be in error.

Either that, or I'm not properly intuitice about this situation.

The paragraph poses a mulitple choice question. "What is the best way to shut
down a runaway diesel engine?"

One choice is a throw-away. "Cut off the electrical supply." Bzzzt! "Thanks for
playing, and we do have some lovely parting gifts for you........"

The other two choices:

1. Cut off the fuel supply

2. Cut off the air supply

I believe 1. is how my diesel shuts down normally. If that doesn't work, I'd use
"3. release compression". If the engine could find a "sneaky-path" to get fuel,
chances are it could find one to get air, too.

I suppose if I didn't have a compression release, I'd try stuffing things in the
air intake.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36