K. Smith

Ed C wrote:
Did a license ever stop an accident on the road?

Jeese louise I'd say yes:-)

Here downunder we've had boat drivers licenses in most states almost
forever.

It varies from state to state, some only for boats "capable" of
exceeding 10 kts, some only for boats over 10HP & some for all "powered
craft" Also in some you need a special exam & license to drive a jetski
(mongrel things:-)).

The test requirements vary from state to state also, most have a
computerised theory test, which is fairly OK & means people have the
basics & at least some understanding of various lights (fishing boats
with nets, dredges, big ships right of way in designated channels etc),
colours & channel marking systems, plus anchoring & mooring etc, also it
stresses safety gear compliance. At least one state you have to also sit
a boat test after the theory test i.e. they have licensed professional
testers, you meet them where ever, they check the boat then go for a run
asking certain handling tests be achieved, again it's not perfect but
better than nothing at all that lets just about any dopey nuff nuff go &
kill his/her family or worse mine.

I have to admit the govt does milk it for funds, but they claim this
helps defray police & rescue costs, maybe but .......

The very few places that were late getting licenses found people just
paid the fines & didn't care, but when they might lose their license to
operate then they take notice, also & this is great I say:-) they have a
crossover, get done on the breathalyser in the boat & you lose both car
& boat licenses for the specified time.

"Gordon" wrote in message

Washington state wants to institute a revamped law to require boating
drivers licenses. To those in states who have such laws, what are the pros
and cons of your system and does it prevent accidents etc or is it just
another red tape gizmo to collect money for the state?
Thanks in advance
Gordon