Matt

You note how tall the boat is, but you do not say if that is while on the
trailer or not.
If it is too tall you get into issues with bridges - (I've yet to see a lift
bridge on a road)

If you are hiring a legitimate / profiessional to move your boat, leave it
to them, but make sure you get references and insurance. A 40' boat is no
small undertaking on a trailer.

If you are still intent on doing yourself, you are best advised to contact
the Transportation Dept of each State and Province you plan to travel
through.

If the height exceeds a certain limit, you need a special permit. I know in
Ontario, that permit also includes routing directions which specify travel
times, roads, and lanes (many bridges are arcs) among other things. Some
States require lead and even following vehicles depending on the trailer
load.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
I need to haul my boat, using a tractor-trailer rig, from NC to Port
Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia and would like to know the best route.

By best I mean those compromises that most suitably consider: safety,
cost, time, traffic, road conditions & any other constraints worthily
considered.

The boat is about 40' long, 12' high and the rig is about 60' long & GVW
about 50k lbs.

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--