Jan

Default evinrude 4 HP 2 cyl runs rough

Hi everyone,

I got a Evinrude engine from a friend to check it out, he told me it
ran bad. I took off the carb and cleaned it out after that it ran
fine.
Now not long after that during (has been going good that day) a small
boat trip engine started to run rough especially when running at
higher rpm. It's harder to notice it when I try to run it idle.
Coming home I took off the float chamber and noticed a dusthair in the
main jet. Removed it and being convinced that would have caused it
put things back together, also installed a simple fuel filter to
prevent this from happening again. (does this engine has a filter in
the carb?).
But on a fishing trip yesterday after about 5 minutes the engine
started to do the same again.
I checked out the newsgroupes but the answers vary quite a bit.
Since my engine is so simple of construction I suspect a simple answer
for this problem. It's a 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, 4 HP Evinrude from '86
with one carburator.
By the way, I find only one adjusting screw on the carb, where is it
for and how many turns out should it be?

Your help is much appreciated,

Jan.
(Honda CB 400N '79)
(Honda CB 750 Sevenfifty '92)