Parallax

Jeff Morris wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:
I thought I'd have left on my cruise by now but am still finishing my
nesting dinghy so while that is happening, I am wondering about taking
a computer. Is a computer really desireable on a cruise?

To ask this question without saying how long the cruise is or where
you're going is a bit meaningless. IIRC your boat is not large - do you
have enough space that you can stash it in a dry locker and not worry if
you never use it?

I like to do
weird calculations with spreadsheets and work out bizaare optics for
fun and profit.

If you have a computer based hobby/business, then it would be useful.
If you're into digital photography, you'll want to be able to save and
edit pics - but you should know that already. If you like to use the
computer (without being connected)when land based, there is a good
chance you'll find a use for it while traveling.

Supposedly you can watch a movie on a computer
although I have never done so and am almost unable to watch movies but
a cruise on a sailboat has a lot of free time.

A dedicated player is a lot better, and cheaper.

..I would never trust my
navigation to computer charts so that isnt a reason.

The last time I went out for a year I had a computer fully set up for
nav, but found a handheld chartplotter more convenient. Nav gear is
most important in the worst conditions, so I didn't want to become
reliant on something I would only use in fair conditions. On the other
hand there are many who prefer to use a computer - this is an area where
everyone has to find their own comfort level.

The odd thing is I have several different chart systems loaded now - I
can bring up a chart of anywhere in the world in a few seconds, and I
use it on a daily basis. On the boat however, I'm more interested in
being able to do a running fix in my head while steering through a
squall, so I try to practice mow basic skills.

Is being in
touch via e-mail and news groups really desireable or even practical?

Most marinas will allow you to send emails, some have wifi, etc. And of
course there are always cafes, etc. If you stay in touch with friends
& family by email when land based, then you will want to do that while
cruising. If you like to use a phone, find the best cellular plan for
your trip. You can also send emails by cell phone.

I used the computer for email, updating a web site (so grandma could see
pictures) and for bill tracking. but I'd have to say that the one thing
I missed most about be "boat based" was the instant access to the web
for simple browsing.

At work, we have a plethora of new computers but all are too big and
run on 110 volts. My electrical capacity will be limited to when the
engine is running, whatever charge is in my 2 batteries, and whatever
my 10 watt solar panel makes. This argues for a laptop.

You can build a "box" that uses the same power as a laptop, but then you
need space for a monitor. Also, you can power a laptop off of a small
inverter - its worth having one on board if you have any AC aplliances
(tooth brush, power drill, etc.)

My last experience with a laptop had me trying to get it stolen in
airports but nobody ever took it. Even though it had a damned crappy
power supply, I kept it going far longer than I should have by
open-chassis surgery and soldering iron.

Sounds like you don't really get along with computers.

When it finally did die, I
gleefully extracted its hard drive and installed it in an adapter for
my current home computer so that every time I see it I imagine it as a
brain in a jar and I have gotten my revenge. I can almost imagine it
saying "Dave, I know we have had our problems but.....Daisy,
Daisy...."
So, what do y'all think?

You haven't given a reason why you need one. This is one of those
things where if you know you need it, you don't have to ask. I used to
take laptops with me, now I don't bother if I'm out for less than a
month. Memory chips for the camera are cheap and I can even crop and
print without a computer. I have a dvd player that's better than most
computers. And for a limited time, I'd rather rely on books for
research and intellectual stimulation.

If I were going out for longer, I'd bring a computer. Nowadays, there
are fair solutions for connectivity in some areas - I have a friend who
has stayed online for most of the East Coast using a cell phone - in the
next few years this may be more common.

One big mistake is thinking your lifestyle will change dramatically
while cruising. For instance, my wife decided that she would learn new
cooking styles while traveling. I have simpler tastes, and I got my
fill of "new tastes" while being a tourist in a new town every other
day; on the boat I preferred more basic comfort foods. We came back with
lockers full of the same exotic ingredients we left with. There were a
whole raft of new hobbies I might have acquired, such as fishing, but in
fact we tended to do more of what we did while land based.

Is there any practical way to do e-mail while underway?

You can email with a cell phone - it really depends on want you want to
do. I used Pocket Mail from a Palm Pilot over a cell phone, that was
good for short messages.

Should I just go back to using my slide rule for calculations?

Yes! That's the only proper way to do Celestial Navigation!

As a programmer for 30 years, I tended to write small programs to do
simple calculations - now I keep a calculator handy because that's what
I really need now. Maybe its time to dust off the slip stick.

Basically am a math physics geek who dreams up weird optics for a
living whenever I am s'posed to be doing other things. A lot of this
is pencil and paper but ya know, spread sheets are nice. I got no
probs pokin round in the innards of a computer but have learned to
hate the seeming arbitrariness of software. I could still program in
Fortran if needed but Vis Basic is nice. I really wouldnt use it for
movies and would only send e-mail to family which is redundant with a
cell phone so the only reason for having it is for when I get bored
and wanna poke around at some problem.