Lloyd Sumpter

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:33:15 +0000, Wayne. wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:02:57 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

Truth is, I want to make sure Far Cove sails well once I get this new motor, so
I won't be tempted to motor wherever I go

====================================

Other than a dirty bottom and keel, one of the biggest impediments to light air
sailing is a fixed prop, especially a 3 bladed fixed prop. The extra money and
maintenance for a feathering or folding prop can make all the difference in the
world once the wind speed drops under 10 knots or so.

Hmmm...but wouldn't this also affect my upwind performance? As long as my
bottom is clean, I have no problems upwind - I used to outsail the Vikings'
brand-new Cat 34 consistantly, and I'm usually slowly overtaking other boats as
long as it's upwind. Any wind over 5 knots and I'm fine upwind, but I need
10-15 to do anything downwind.

I did consider a feathering prop, but I think the money would be better spent
on a new genoa (the old one is about 15 years old. If nothing else, I'd like a
new one so I don't have to baby it so much)

Last time out, I was cruising along at around 5-6 knots in 7 knots wind (45
deg. apparent), and thinking about all the "extra speed" people have promised
me: a clean bottom would get me at least an extra knot, feathering prop 1-2
knots "guaranteed!", new genny a knot or so...geez, I'd be doing over hullspeed!

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36