Wayne.B

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 09:53:41 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:
I just can't seem to get any speed on a "deep reach" in light air. I usually end
up reaching just at the point where the main starts shadowing the genny, then
gybe the main and try wing-and-wing. Nothing seems to get me more than 2-3 knots
in 5-7 knots wind (where I'd be doing 5.5 or so upwind!)

=============================

That's about par for the course in light wind. What happens is that
the boat speed starts to subtract from the speed of the true wind
(TWS) because you are moving away from it. Racing boats in light air
will reach up until the apparent wind is almost on the beam, wait for
boat speed to build, and then head down slightly until speed starts to
drop again. That requires adjusting the pole and spinnaker trim more
or less constantly but cruisers can manage if they have an autopilot
and use a slightly less agressive strategy. Helps to keep boredom
from setting in also.

As wind speed increases you can maintain a more downwind course
without as much scalloping to build boat speed.