Dan Krueger

Default 2 or 4 stroke?

There has been a lot of good information posted here but I have one thing to
add. You mention brand names and with four strokes in particular, that can be
misleading.

I have a 115 Mercury EFI four stroke that has a Yamaha powerhead. I also know a
few people who grabbed some great deals on "OMC" four strokes after they filed
bankruptcy. Evidently these were all made by Suzuki so the parts and service
are still available.

The bottom line is, find out who the real manufacturer is.

Dan

RG wrote:
I have the opportunity to add a new engine onto an older, re-built 16 ft.
flats boat with a tunnel hull. It will be a 50 h.p. according to the ratings
etc.. I've read a lot recently about the new 4 cycles not having anywhere
near the "pep" that the 2 cycles do. The weight difference is 50 lbs between
two choices of engines, and the engine will be hung on a jack-plate. As a
comparison, I'm looking at 2 and 4 cycle Yamahas, though the final choice
might be Johnson/Evinrude or Mercury. The cost difference is not the
over-riding issue this time.

The typical running pattern of this boat will be short, quick runs between
various flats. Longest run will be a few miles at a time. Getting up on
plane and racing a few hundred yards will not be unusual, with maybe a dozen
such moves over a half-day fishing. I might be working birds, which, of
course, requires getting up and "over there" as quickly as possible as an
important consideration. Any comments comparing the 2 vs. 4 strokes based on
power and pep? I know all about the discussion about pollution, banning 2
cycles, etc. and that is not part of my concerns today.

Thanks for your help. RichG