Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:51:21 +0000, tony thomas wrote:

Mercury does use Tohatsu engines on their smaller 4 strokes. The engine is
Tohatsu but everything else is Merc (lower unit, electronics, etc..).

As for starting - I assume you are pumping the primer to get fuel into the
engine, adjusting the choke properly and then cranking. Any carb engine
will usually require a little throttle over idle to crank when cold. Did
you not do that on any of your older engines. Should be the same process.

My complaint is: A NEW engine should start more easily than a 30-yr-old
one, right? New cars (even carburated ones!) start on idle, pretty much
immediately. I'd expect the same from a NEW outboard.

As for the idle when cold - again, adjust the choke. It is a manual choke.

This is something I suspect: the choke may not be hooked up (or adjusted
properly?) With other engines, I could usually STOP the engine by pulling
out the choke when it's warm. But in this one: no change whatsoever.

As for the vibration - I have never known a 2 cylinder engine to idle
smooth. Nature of the beast.

My old Seahorse was virtually vibration-free.

The lag should not be there as you increase throttle. May be a service
bullitin out that describes a rejet of the carb to solve this problem. As
about a possible rejet to solve it and any service bullitins on this engine.

That's what I'm thinking - or it wasn't adjusted right at the factory.

You should NEVER increase rpms/throttle when engaging in gear. That
will tear up the lower unit clutch/gears. If you can't put in gear when
at idle w/ the choke set right then there is another problem. Either it
is idled too low or something. Idle is set in gear in the water on your
boat at 600 to 800 rpms.

I requested several times that they come out with me so I could show them
the problems. They refused, saying running in a tank is sufficient.

I'm tempted to take my hand tach to the engine and find out where they've
set the idle - I suspect it's closer to 1200.

As I said, I'm taking it to a different dealer. Hope they're better (I've
dealt with them befo I have a few issues with them, but they seem more
competent and customer-oriented than the other shop)

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12