Lloyd Sumpter

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 05:46:37 +0000, Jack Dale wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:25:49 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

A cruising chute does not replace a genoa. In the light winds of the Gulf
Islands in the summer, they are great. But you still need a genoa for
close-hauled sailing and heavier winds.

True - I was thinking of "in addition to" rather than "instead of". As I
mentioned in another post, I'm having a problem getting good speed downwind in
light air. Maybe I'm asking too much: how fast COULD I go in a Catalina 36 with
the wind 5 knots at 160 degrees? How much faster would I go with a C.S. rather
than a properly-set 135% genoa?

BTW - If you want a lesson -- I might be available. I am heading to Vancouver
for an advanced CYA instructor re-cert next weekend. (Not available then.)

Hmmm.... I kind of have my own ways of sailing after doing so for 30 years or
so, but it might be fun. Brent at Leitch&McBride said he'd go out with me if I
bought a new genny off him (I've bought all my sails there)

You're located in Sidney? Maybe I'll drop by on my way to Barkley Sound this
summer!

Truth is, I want to make sure Far Cove sails well once I get this new motor, so
I won't be tempted to motor wherever I go

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36