Lloyd Sumpter

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:42:44 +1100, K Smith wrote:

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
Hi,
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

What's the Story on Cruising Spinnakers (I like to call them "downwind
floppy genoas, because they act more like gennys than true spinnakers)? They
used to be All The Rage, now I rarely see one.

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

Yes we used to call then jenickers & they're good. On a previous boat I
was on we had one that came well past the aft lowers & almost to the aft cockpit
when sheeted on. It was cut very full, however it made down hill passages much
more enjoyable. Make sure you have the hardware to easily pole it, some workable
preventer & chafe protection (even for the spreaders because you'll be surprised
how well it works to windward in very light air).

Ah, yes: a pole. Hadn't thought of that. I had one on both my earlier boats, but
the shrouds on Far Cove are placed such that a whiskerpole is hard to set. In
very light air, I've been known to rig up the boathook from one of the shrouds.

Needless to say they're a compromise for serious windward work but are
OK up to a close reach.

Rarely do cruising yachts, beat to windward for actual passage making
so their lack of on the wind performance is no biggy, besides you just spent
heats on that iron topsail for exactly that point of sailing:-)

Well, in the "protected waters" of Georgia Strait, I prefer to go upwind,
because:
1. There's often not a lot of wind, and although I can make 6+ knots on 7
knots of wind upwind, I don't make much more than 4 downwind.
2. Far Cove balances far better when beating - I can set the sails and not even
use Otto upwind.

So strangely enough, I motor more when the wind is behind me.

Lately I've gotten into just using the Genny downwind so I don't get that
shadowing from the main. OK for lazy days or 15+ wind, but not really useful if
I want to get anywhere and the wind is 5 knots on my ass.

Heaps of irrelavant garbage deleted