JohnH

On 12 Nov 2004 18:57:28 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Had nothing to do with their country of origin, had to do with their
habits, and the number of people and cars for one house and yard. Get
off your high horse, Chuck, it's not becoming.

Was that you? I remembered the incident, but not the party involved.

My horse has a question: If it wasn't about ethnicity, why were the people
described with an ethnic label? When my neighbor does something I wish he
hadn't done, I don't say "My Anglo Saxon Catholic nieghbor did this or
that..........."

I used the same label that news sources in the county have used to
describe the same event occurring elsewhere. So far, the practice
seems to be the practice of only one ethnic group. Is there something
wrong with the mention of ethnicity when discussing behavior?

Very often on the news, I'll hear an announcer say something like,
"The subject was a black male, about 200 lbs. and about six feet tall,
etc." Is that wrong? Is that a racial slur? Or is it simply a fact?

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!