Jack Dale

Default Downwind Floppy Genoas?

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 13:25:49 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

Hi,
OK, here's a boating-related question (Most Rebs and Dems will have NO
IDEA what I'm talking about, but what the hell...):

What's the Story on Cruising Spinnakers (I like to call them "downwind
floppy genoas, because they act more like gennys than true spinnakers)?
They used to be All The Rage, now I rarely see one.

I use gennikers a lot. They are a part of the CYA Intermediate and
ISPA Coastal Skipper Standards. I see many of them in Gulf Islands,
where the light winds make them a god send.

With a good dousing bag they are easy to launch and retrieve. A tack
strap around the forestay or furled genoa helps to control the luff a
little better. They are easily sailed by a couple. One experienced
sailor could use one.

The cut of the cruising chute is important. A relatively flat shape
is used for close reaching and a more rounded genniker is better for a
broad reach. Most are a compromise that works fairly well on most
points of sail. I do not like to run wing on wing with one. I think
that broad reaching and gybing is faster and less finicky.

Some modifications are necessary. You need a halyard that will run
forward of the forestay. Snatch blocks for the sheets will need to be
installed near the stern.

I'm getting a new genny for Far Cove in the near future, so was
wondering if a C.S. was worth the cost.

A cruising chute does not replace a genoa. In the light winds of the
Gulf Islands in the summer, they are great. But you still need a
genoa for close-hauled sailing and heavier winds.

BTW - If you want a lesson -- I might be available. I am heading to
Vancouver for an advanced CYA instructor re-cert next weekend. (Not
available then.)

Comments?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

A 36 foot boat is on the cusp of the rigging for a spinnaker. At
about this length boats are equipped with separate guys and sheets,
meaning that you would need:

1) spinnaker halyard
2) spinnaker pole topping lift
3) foreguy with associated fairleads
4) sheet blocks near stern
5) snatch blocks for the guy near the beam
6) another set of winches on each coaming

If you go the route of using the lazy sheet as the guy, you can omit 5
and 6. But then you should install tweaker lines at about the beam.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy