Dr. Dr. Smithers

Is the mechanic saying that you came off plane and the water came over the
transom and was ingested by the fuel injection system? If so, you would
have noticed if you had ever had that problem, and even if the water flooded
the deck, I can not imagine it leaking into the fuel injection system. If
it will, you need to correct that leak, because you will always have water
in a boat. . I would not accept that answer from the dealer. You can
contact Volvo Penta directly at:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glob...nited%20States

"Ralph Modica" wrote in message
Hello :

I have a 2003 Larson Cabrio 254 Cabin Crusier w/73 hours on the 5.7 Volvo
Penta
I/O.

Have recently discovered water in the engine oil. The dealer's mechanic is
telling me this is "Normal" and may occur if the boat ingests water while
coming
down off-plane too rapidly or even if water is splashed too high while
putting
the boat in the water at a launch ramp.

Seems this is TOO easy an "explanation" for what I think is a defective
engine
gasket.
IF this IS something common, I'm amazed more people have not complained to
the
manufacturer's about designing their boats better to avoid water
ingestion.

I've also heard water ingestion is a common problem on Volvo 8-cylinder
I/O
engines. There is apparently a problem with valve timing being off - this
allows
the intake stroke to pull vacuum while an exhaust valve is still open,
thus
sucking water into the cylinders. Has anyone here heard of this or have
further
details ?

Thanks in advance !

Ralph