John Fereira

"Michael Daly" wrote in news:ZomdnaIIspys9w_cRVn-
:

On 10-Nov-2004,
(Gene Cosloy) wrote:

I want a boat, the
stability of which allows me to place it on balance edge with J-leans
alone. some of the boats are so stiff they may require upper body
leans and strong bracing which is not for me. I want to lift my knee
and get the boat over as far as I want. I can't do that with a lot of
so called strongly stabile boats

While not guaranteed, in general hard chine kayaks tend to have the
characteristics you want. Round chines tend to have the secondary
kick in early and are harder to edge. Hard chines tend to roll quickly
and then hit a solid secondary.

I've experienced the same but it also depends how deep the V is in the hull.
In the case of, for example, an Artic Hawk the initial stability feels
"twitchy" and actually feels more comfortable if you're not trying to keep
it perfectly centered. Once you let it go from one side or the other it
feels a lot more controllable. Once you're moving though it feels plenty
stable. My CLC Northbay feels the same way.